Policy Number: VI-28.00(A)
University of Maryland Policy on Access to the University Facilities, Resources and Privileges by M-Square Research Park Affiliates
(Approved by the President )
This administrative policy defines the scope and the conditions of access to facilities, resources and privileges at the University of Maryland, College Park, that may be offered by designated University officials to tenants of the University's M-Square Research Park for the benefit of their employees.
- Tenant of the M-Square Research Park "Tenant of the M-Square Research Park" (or "Tenant") shall mean any entity leasing or otherwise occupying property in the M-Square Research Park (or "Park") and whose principal activity in the Park shall be the pursuit or administration of basic or applied research.
- Approved Tenant of the M-Square Research Park "Approved Tenant of the M-Square Research Park" (or "Approved Tenant") shall mean a Tenant approved by the University Vice President for Research as eligible to designate employees as "Research Park Affiliates" in accordance with this Policy.
- Research Park Affiliates and Co-Sponsored Research Park Affiliates
- "Research Park Affiliates" shall mean current, full-time employees of an Approved Tenant: (1) whose primary place of work is in the Park; and (2) are designated by the Tenant as eligible for general access to University facilities, resources, and privileges as permitted under Section III of this Policy.
- "Co-Sponsored Research Park Affiliates" shall mean Research Park Affiliates, who, on account of unique and substantial research accomplishments: (1) are likely through an enhanced association with the University to foster research and academic relationships between the Tenant and the University; (2) would be eligible for a research appointment at the University; and (3) are co-sponsored by both the Tenant and the University for access to the facilities, resources, and privileges as permitted under Section IV of this Policy. Normally and except as otherwise specially authorized by the Provost on the recommendation of the Vice President for Research, only employees of a governmental or non-profit Approved Tenant may be made CoSponsored Research Park Affiliates.
III. Category 1 Facilities, Resources, Privileges: General Access by Research Park Affiliates.
- The University Vice President for Research may designate Research Park Affiliates as eligible to access the following University facilities, resources and privileges. Designation may be on a Tenant-by-Tenant basis. Access will be on a space available basis, with University faculty, staff and students taking precedence. Unless otherwise stated, access will be subject to the fees, conditions, and restrictions applicable to University faculty and staff.
- University Recreation Center at faculty/staff rates.
- University Shuttle Bus Service Service within the precincts of the MSquare Research Park and to the College Park Metro Station. Service to other destinations outside the Research Park may be separately contracted between Tenant and the University Department of Transportation Services.
- University Parking Annual permits for on-Campus parking may be individually purchased at the "upper level" faculty/staff rate.
- Intercollegiate Athletic Events Admission tickets to regular season University home football and women's basketball games may be purchased at the faculty/staff rate. Tickets to men's basketball games are not available except through membership in the University's Terrapin Club, which is open to the public.
- Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center Admission tickets to performances in the Clarice Smith Center may be purchased at the faculty/staff rate or at the reduced rate available to members of the Alumni Association, which is open to the public.
- Student Union Rentals Facilities in the Stamp Student Union may be rented at the faculty/staff rate or at the reduced rate available to members of the Alumni Association, which is open to the public.
- Golf Course The University Golf Course and Club House facilities are open to the public at public rates.
- University Research Park Duct Bank Tenant may license access to the University's internet connection for its Research Park Affiliates at market rates. Access to the connection does not include:
- Internet access to University Library resources and services, which must be further separately contracted between Tenant and the University Library System (See Paragraph 8(b), below).
- Individual University e-mail account addresses for Research Park Affiliates.
- Library Privileges
- Books may be borrowed from any of the University of Maryland, College Park, libraries for an annual fee through membership in either the Friends of the Library Association or the Alumni Association, both of which are open to the public.
- Library privileges do not include internet access to University library resources and research ports unless access has been contracted separately between the Tenant and the University Library System.
- University Travel Clinic at faculty/staff rates.
- The Vice President for Research shall enter into a memorandum of understanding with each Approved Tenant setting forth the facilities, resources and privileges for which a Tenant's employees shall be eligible as Research Park Affiliate under Section III of this Policy. Provisions shall be made for reimbursing the University for costs associated with administering an identification procedure for participating Tenant employees. The MOU shall specifically state that except as otherwise specially contracted with Tenant, the University reserves the right in its discretion to terminate, suspend, change or limit access to its facilities, resources, and privileges by Tenant's Research Park Affiliates, either individually or collectively. Any special conditions or limitations shall be noted. The MOU shall be reviewed and approved by the Office of Legal Affairs before execution.
IV. Category 2 Facilities, Resources and Privileges: Access Limited to CoSponsored Research Park Affiliates.
- The Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost (the "Provost") may authorize access to University research facilities by Co-Sponsored University Research Park Affiliates for the purpose of conducting basic or applied, non-classified research. Co-sponsored use shall be limited and highly selective. The following minimum requirements and conditions apply:
- The Research Park Affiliate must be co-sponsored by the Tenant employer and by both the University Department Chair/Director and the Dean of the College responsible for the facilities to which access is to be given.
- Access will be given only for a specific research program, which shall be well defined. It shall be the responsibility of the sponsoring department and college to ensure all applicable research conditions and protocols are continuously observed.
- Access will be for a maximum designated period of time on a space available basis, not to exceed one calendar year and may be terminated or relocated to other facilities at any time in the discretion of the Provost. Access may be extended for an additional period by the Provost upon the written recommendation of both the Department Chair/Director and the Dean of the College.
- All research conducted by Research Park Affiliates in University facilities shall be subject to University policy and reporting requirements, including those pertaining to patents, copyright, restricted/controlled hazardous materials, export control review, scholarly misconduct, environmental, animal care, and human subject protocols.
- As a condition of approving access, the Provost shall require the Research Park Affiliate's Tenant to reimburse the University direct and indirect costs associated with the Tenant's use of University facilities, services and equipment.
- In each instance, the University, the Co-Sponsored Research Park Affiliate, and the Tenant/employer shall execute a License Agreement prepared by the Office of Legal Affairs authorizing access to University facilities. The License shall set out the specific financial, administrative and legal conditions upon which access is being permitted.
VI. University of Maryland Name, Logos, and Trademarks
Tenancy in the University of Maryland Research Park and access to University of Maryland facilities, resources and privileges by Research Park Affiliates and CoSponsored Research Park Affiliates under this Policy does not authorize use by a Tenant or its employees of the University's name, logos and trademarks without the prior written permission of the University Trademark Committee upon the recommendation of the Provost.
VII. Relation to Other Policies
- University of Maryland Research Park Tenants and their employees are not "affiliated" organizations or foundations within the meaning of University System of Maryland Board of Regents Policy IX-2.00 (Policy on Affiliated Foundations) and IX-2.01 (Recognition of Affiliated Foundations).
- "University of Maryland Research Park Affiliate" and "University of Maryland College Park Co-Sponsored Affiliate" are not University of Maryland staff or faculty titles and do not designate faculty rank, service or other employment relationship with the University of Maryland. They are administrative designations for the sole purpose of managing access to University facilities, resources and privileges by a limited group of third parties.