Policy Number: II-1.00(G)
University of Maryland Policy on Professional Track Faculty
(Approved by the President technical amendment )
I. Purpose and Scope
This policy establishes a generic title of Professional Track Faculty for faculty ranks that are not eligible for an award of tenure or permanent status. The new designation will facilitate the development and implementation of policies for Professional Track Faculty with respect to appointment, promotion, and representation in shared governance.
- The generic title of Professional Track Faculty applies to the specific faculty ranks in each faculty rank series as set forth below:
- Instructional faculty series: Junior Lecturers, Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, and Principal Lecturers;
- Artists-in-Residence series: Assistant Artists-in-Residence, Associate Artists-in-Residence, and Artists-in-Residence;
- Clinical faculty series: Assistant Clinical Professors, Associate Clinical Professors, and Clinical Professors;
- Research Professor series: Assistant Research Professors, Associate Research Professors, and Research Professors;
- Research Scientist series: Assistant Research Scientists, Associate Research Scientists, and Research Scientists;
- Research Scholar series: Assistant Research Scholars, Associate Research Scholars, and Research Scholars;
- Research Engineer series: Assistant Research Engineers, Associate Research Engineers, and Research Engineers;
- Faculty Specialist series: Faculty Specialists, Senior Faculty Specialists, and Principal Faculty Specialists;
- Agent Associate series: Agent Associates, Senior Agent Associates, and Principal Agent Associates;
- Faculty Assistants
- Post-Doctoral ranks: Post-Doctoral Scholars and Post-Doctoral Associates
- Definitions of the faculty ranks listed above appear in II-1.00(A) University of Maryland Policy on Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure of Faculty.
Note: The term Professional Track Faculty is intended to apply to all former references to non-tenure track faculty in University policy. The following existing University and University System of Maryland policies applicable to non-tenure track faculty shall continue to apply to professional track faculty, according to the applicability defined in each policy: II-1.00(F) University of Maryland Policy on Full-Time and Part-Time Professional Track Instructional Faculty; II-1.05 Policy on the Employment of Full- Time, Non-Tenure Track Instructional Faculty in the University System of Maryland; and II-1.06 Policy on the Employment of Part-Time, Non-Tenure Track Instructional Faculty in the University System of Maryland.