Skip Navigation. Skip to content
University Policies
Back to Policy Section II: Faculty
Section II: Faculty

Policy Number: II-2.30(C)

University of Maryland, College Park Policies and Procedures Concerning Accident Leave for Faculty

(Approved by the President )

I. Policy

UMCP follows the Board of Regents Policy II-2.30 and State law concerning compensation for injuries sustained by faculty in performance of their duties.  Faculty should follow the procedures outlined below to ensure compensation. Any questions regarding these procedures should be directed to the Occupational Health Office at the University Health Center.

II. Definitions

  1. State Accident Fund - a State run insurance agency which covers claims for work related illness and injury.
  2. Worker's Compensation Commission - a State arbitration board whose function is to ensure that workers are treated fairly in the event of job related illness or injury.
  3. Accident Leave - leave with pay granted to employees who suffer job related illness or injury.

III. Procedures

  1. All accidents or injuries sustained on the job should be reported immediately to the individual's supervisor.
  2. The supervisor is responsible for completing the "FIRST REPORT OF INJURY" form which must be forwarded to the Occupational Health Office. This is necessary to receive compensation.
  3. Medical attention may be sought through either the University Health Center or a private physician.
  4. The Occupational Health Office makes the initial determination of the status of the injury and will notify the individuals department within 10 days of receipt of the "FIRST REPORT OF INJURY" form. The Occupational Health Office is responsible for making the report to the State Accident Fund.  The State Accident Fund may contest the award of accident leave. The decision will be made within 30 days of receipt of the "FIRST REPORT OF INJURY."
  5. A faculty member who disagrees with a decision by the State Accident Fund may file a claim with the Workers Compensation Commission.
  6. Continued medical documentation of inability to work must be provided to the department by any faculty member on accident leave. An "Injury/Illness Certificate" must be completed by the attending physician unless treatment is through the Health Center.  The first Certificate must be given to the department within 3 days of the injury, with subsequent certificates due every 2 weeks thereafter unless this requirement is waived by the department for exceptional circumstances.
  7. Leave without pay shall be given for any periods for which a certificate is not provided. A faculty member has five days to provide the certificate, otherwise the leave without pay shall be permanent unless good cause can be shown for failure to comply.
  8. If treatment is being provided by a non-University physician, the Occupational Health Office will need: the diagnosis, a summary of the doctor's or hospital's record of care, any operation reports, any X-ray or laboratory reports, the doctor's opinion concerning return to work. The attending physician should be provided with a "Permission for the Release of Medical  Information" form in order to provide the necessary information. The reports should be sent to:                      The Occupational Health Office                      University Health Center                      University of Maryland College Park                      College Park, Maryland 20742   
  9. An injured faculty member may be asked to undergo an examination at the Occupational Health Office or by a consultant. If the faculty member refuses, accident leave may be terminated.
  10. If, after all available accident leave has been used, the faculty member does not chose to receive temporary total benefits, other forms of leave with pay may be used. After all possible leave with pay has been used, the faculty member shall be placed on leave without pay.
  11. A request for extension of sick leave may be made in writing to the President. Extension of sick leave is at the sole discretion of the President.

Note: A Health Center Procedures Booklet may be obtained from the Occupational Health Office.